This Unit is responsible for the planning, implementation, and supervision of road projects. The physical construction works are contracted out. Its staff includes Engineers, Engineering Assistants and Road Officers, Surveyor, Surveyor Assistant, Site Clerks and Clerical Assistants.
Its functions include:
- Maintenance of the existing public road network to include debushing, cleaning of drain and culverts
- Improvements of the existing public road network through regular maintenance
- Construction of new or rehabilitation of existing public roads.
To facilitate its work the Unit operates in two divisions namely the Western Roads Division and the Eastern Roads Division. The Western Division is from St. Patrick to St. George and includes the entire east coast while the Easter Division is from St. Andrew to St. George and all the areas on the east coast of the Island. The two main offices for the Dovisions are located at Beausejour, St. George and Pearls, St. Andrew with sub-offices in each Parish.
Officer–in-Charge: Mr. Michael Alexander
Phone: +1 (473) 440-3020 | +1 (473) 440-5531
Officer–in-Charge: Mr. Lawrence Griffith
Phone: +1 (473)442-7349
St David’s Road Office
Phone: +1 (473) 444-6242
St Mark’s Road Office
Phone: +1 (473) 444-8292
St John’s Road Office
Phone: +1 (473) 444-8230
St Patrick’s Road Office
Phone: +1 (473) 442-9319
THE BUILDINGS UNIT
This unit is responsible for the construction, rehabilitation and maintenance of all Government buildings to provide suitable accommodation for employees and the Public. The staff includes Engineers, Architects, Quantity Surveyors and Technicians.
Its functions include:
- Maintenance of existing buildings and facilities
- Construction of new buildings
- Updating of Governments building inventory
- Conducting of condition surveys
ELECTRICAL INSPECTORATE UNIT
This department is responsible for working with all stakeholders to improve the standard of Electrical installation work in the State by promoting safety of persons, property and livestock to aid in the prevention of potential dangers of fire and other hazards.
The staff includes Electrical Engineers, Inspectors, and Clerical Assistants
Its functions include
- Inspection and testing of all new installations additions extensions, alterations before electricity is supplied to the installation
- Periodic inspection of electrical installations, (Government Buildings and public places)
- Advise on Electrical Installation Practices
- Coordination of the Electrical Wireman’s License Examination
- Promote and maintain adherence to the Electrical codes namely the IEE Wiring Regulations (Required electrical installation in Grenada) and the Grenada Building Guidelines
- Electoral Inspection
PIMU – Project Implementation & Management Unit
This Unit is responsible for ensuring that all works performed for Government are completed at the required quality, in an efficient manner and is cost-effective. It ensures that the Government receives value for money.
Its functions include:
- Processing all Contracts being awarded by Government, ensuring correct preparation and execution.
- Maintaining records of all contracts awarded on for infrastructural works on behalf of the Government
- Coordinating maintenance, rehabilitation and construction of all roads and government buildings
- Management and upgrading of Public Market
*The Roads and the Buildings Unit work very closely with this Unit.
This Division regulates the general operations of the Ministry for efficient and cost-effective use of resources and implementation of national Government policies. It is headed by the Permanent Secretary. The Permanent Secretary also provides policy advice and ensures the implementation of policies and directives from the Cabinet. The Permanent Secretary is supported by a number of Department Heads. These include:
- Chief Technical Officer
- Senior Administrative Officer
- Administrative Officer (Personnel)
- Administrative Officer (Finance)
- Public Relations Officer
- Senior Planning Officer (Physical Planning)
- Senior Roads Engineer
- Engineer (Roads)
- Engineer (Buildings)
- Engineer (Electrical)
- Liaison Officer (Farm Roads)
- Markets Manager
The Chief Technical Officer (CTO) oversees the technical activities of the Ministry and provides technical advice to the Minister and Permanent Secretary.
Department of Energy & Sustainable Development
- Ensure adequate, reliable and economical energy services to sustain economic development, while satisfying the current and projected demands.
- Encourage and promote the use of renewable energy technologies and energy efficiency alternatives.
- Promote energy efficiency and energy conservation at all levels of the economy, in order to achieve optimum economic use of renewable and non-renewable sources of energy.
- Promote , encourage and facilitate petroleum exploration and development in environmentally friendly (sustainable) manner.
- To enable Grenada to meet its objectives relating to phasing out the use of Annex a CFC's under the Montreal Protocol.
- To ensure timely, sustainable and cost-effective CFC phase-out through the development and implementation of a combination of investment, training, technical and policy/management support components.