Skip to main content

Welcome to the Ministry of

Social Development, Housing & Community Empowerment



Where can I go for help in Grenada? 

In an Emergency, contact the Hospital or Police 

Call 911 

Call 400 

Or the Police Station nearest to you  

for physical or sexual violence and where someone is being threatened, is wounded/injured, or is at risk of harm 


To report intimate partner violence or sexual abuse to the POLICE 

Go to the Police Station nearest to you 

or CONTACT the Special Victims Unit, Royal Grenada Police Force 


440 4739 


To report intimate partner violence or sexual abuse to the GBVU or to get help and information on what can be done to support an adult victim or survivor, 


Gender-Based Violence Unit:  

Ministry of Social Development & Housing 

440 7952 or 440 2269


For medical attention for someone who is injured/hurt due to physical or sexual violence, go to the 

District Medical Doctor, Medical Station, Health Centre or Hospital  

911 for emergencies 

440-2051 General Hospital 

442-5400 Princess Alice Hospital 

443 7400 Princess Royal Hospital  


For any form of violence, abuse or neglect against any child 


Child Protection Authority – 435 0293 


For legal support; programmes for victims and programmes for perpetrator/offenders of domestic violence


Legal Aid and Counseling Clinic (LACC) – 440 3788 


For advice, support, community activities and advocacy 


Grenada National Organisation of Women (GNOW) – 440 6257 


For information about women’s rights, gender equality and building healthy relationships, 


Division of Gender and Family Affairs 

Ministry of Social Development & Housing 

440 7952 or 440 2269 


Where can I go for help in Carriacou? 

To report intimate partner violence or sexual abuse 

Go to the Hillsborough Police Station  

443 7482


To report intimate partner violence or sexual abuse or to get help and information on what can be done to support an adult victim or survivor, 


Ministry of Carriacou & Petite Martinique Affairs 



What other help is available?

Non-governmental organisations (NGOs), community based organisations, service clubs, schools, churches and other groups undertake a wide range of activities to educate the public and raise awareness of Gender Based Violence.  If you belong to any group or organisation and would like to get information or other technical support to carry out an activity in your group or community, you can contact the Gender-based Violence Unit of the Ministry of Social Development, Housing and Community Empowerment.  

How can I tell if someone is being abused?

Abuse can affect people in different ways. If someone is being abused, he or she might have obvious signs such as bruises or cuts, but these could also be hidden under clothing. A person suffering from abuse might be unusually quiet and withdrawn, or they might lash out and become angry, stressed or violent.

What should I do if I am being attacked?

In the event you are being attacked, fight off attacker to the best of your ability and scream loudly so that someone may hear you. If there is a weapon involved, resist attack as much as you can without causing further harm to yourself.  

Immediately after being attacked report to the police, or nearest person that you trust will provide assistance.  It is helpful to remember the face, smell, or identifiable characteristics about your attacker such as tattoos, color of hair, height, clothing, or jewelry. It will facilitate investigation and help to identify perpetrator quickly and efficiently. 

What is Incest?

Incest is sexual activity between family members or close relatives. This includes sexual activity between persons within the same bloodline.  The laws state that sexual intercourse is forbidden with a person who is a: 

  • daughter/son 
  • father/mother 
  • sister/brother 
  • aunt/uncle 
  • niece/nephew 
  • grandparent/grandchild 

What if parents are committing these actions?

Parents, guardians and adults in the family have a responsibility to look after and care for the children.  If family members commit acts of physical, sexual or emotional abuse or put them at risk of harm, it is called child abuse.  Other adults who children look up to and are taught to obey, can also abuse children.  These include step-parents and friends of the family.  

The Child Protection Authority (CPA) has responsibility to receive reports and address all matters related to children in need of care and protection.  

If you are a victim of child abuse tell another adult you trust immediately.  This can be a police officer, someone at the Child Protection Authority, a teacher, a counsellor, a school principal, a social worker, a nurse or a doctor.  

What is GBV?

Gender-based violence (GBV) is violence that is directed against a person on the basis of gender. It constitutes a breach of the fundamental rights to life, liberty, security, dignity, equality between women and men, non-discrimination and bodily integrity.

What about Men and Gender-based Violence?

Men and boys can be victims, witnesses or perpetrators of these forms of violence and have an equal role in responding and preventing it.  Men are called upon to speak out and take action against GBV.  Men who are neither victims nor abusers are asked to speak with each other and especially with young men to promote respect and non-violence.  BE A CHAMPION FOR CHANGE!

How can Parents and Guardians raise children who will not tolerate GBV 

  • Spend quality time with your children, both boys and girls of all ages.  
  • Discuss important issues like abuse with them. 
  • Teach them about specific actions that are abusive so they should not accept that behaviour from others nor should they practice that behaviour against others.  
  • Respect the other parent or guardian of your child. 
  • Set firm rules and boundaries for both boys and girls, such as respect for others.  
  • Give rewards and punishment within reason while respecting the rights of the child. 
  • If your child reports abuse or maltreatment to you, pay attention to them, believe them and take the necessary action within the law to protect the child.  

What is the relationship between GBV and Human Rights? 

Every person is a human being, with rights!  GBV violates the human rights to life, freedom, security and safety, dignity, and so on.  Women, men, girls and boys should not be abused, ill-treated or violated.  No one deserves to be treated as if she or he is less than a human, regardless of their situation.  Instead, everyone’s human rights should be respected and defended.  

What does the Grenada Constitution say about the women’s rights? 

The Constitution of Grenada states that the fundamental rights and freedoms are: 

  • The right to life, liberty, security of the person and protection of the law; 
  • The right to freedom of conscience, expression, assembly and association; 
  • The right to protection of privacy and property; 
  • The right to work.  

Grenada’s Constitution provides equal rights to men and women, because it says that everyone has the fundamental rights and freedoms without regard to that person’s race, place of origin, political opinions, colour, creed or sex.  The only limitations on a person’s rights are:

  • respect for the rights and freedoms of others 
  • the public interest. 

The Constitution also makes it clear that all persons must be given the conditions to exercise his or her rights, and to seek justice if any of their rights are violated.