The Social Policy, Planning and Project Unit (SPPP) formation was a result of the institutional reengineering of the Ministry. The intent was to streamline the various planning functions, thereby improving the efficiency of the Ministry’s programmatic operations. The establishment of the SPPP framework is integral to the enhancement of the Ministry’s effective service delivery, targeted social policies, forecast planning and execution of projects aimed at the sustainable improvement in the quality of Life of the people of Grenada, Carriacou, and Petite Martinique.
For the Ministry of Social Development, Housing and Community Empowerment to achieve the desired national and sustainable development outcomes, the Government of Grenada has entered into bi-lateral agreements with regional and international developmental partners. As such, the programmatic operations of the Ministry include the development of social policies and execution of projects aimed at improving the quality of life of vulnerable people.
It is recognized that the successful implementation of projects requires continuous monitoring, appraisal and re-planning, as well as the synchronizations of development goals. The comprehensive approach requires the involvement of a number of key sectors, inclusive of civil society, academia and the private sector. Based on the growing mandate and complexity of the nature of the work of the Ministry of Social Development, Housing, and Community Empowerment, the Social Policy, Planning and Project Unit was institutionalized.
The Social Policy, Planning and Project Unit of the Ministry of Social Development, Housing and Community Empowerment is responsible for the development of social policies and plans to enhance the technical delivery of the Ministry.
- To increase the technical responsiveness of the Ministry of Social development, Housing, and Community empowerment
- To increase success rate of project, programme, policies
- To improve collaboration with external agencies and friendly government in the coordination of sustainable development goals and implementation
SPPP Unit Functions
- Conduct research for evidence based planning and programming
- Manage the collection and use of the Ministry’s data
- Manage and coordinate the Ministry PSIP responsibilities
- Support the development of the Ministry’s capital budget
- Facilitate integrated planning
- Work in collaboration with the Finance Unit
- Coordinate the Ministry’s reporting requirements and responsibilities
- Policy analysis
- Policy advice
- Legislation analysis
- Project Development
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Development of Strategic and Operational Plans
- Situational Analysis of Ageing in Grenada
- Vulnerability Assessment