The mandate of the Cabinet Office is:
- Arranging the business for and keeping the Minutes of Cabinet and for conveying the decisions of the Cabinet to the appropriate person or authority.
- Providing secretariat services to Cabinet and its Committees
- Development and administration of Cabinet processes
- Head of the Public Service
In keeping with its mandate, the functions of the Cabinet Office are:
- Developing Cabinet’s forward agenda
- Initiating and participating in key meetings leading up to the formulation of policy
- Monitoring the degree and adequacy of inter-departmental consultation on proposals for Cabinet decisions
- Providing an independent perspective on Ministries’ / Departments’ proposals
- Controlling the quality and context of information reaching Cabinet and Cabinet Committees by reviewing all materials in advance
- Briefing the Prime Minister on his / her role as Chairman of Cabinet and Cabinet Committee Chairman on handling issues on the respective agendas
- Recording appropriate summaries of Cabinet discussions and decisions and disseminating decisions to appropriate persons or authority
- To the extent possible monitoring and evaluating the impact of important decisions taken by the Cabinet
- Managing transitions between administrations and supporting the continuity of Government
- Promoting coherence and quality in the deliverance of policy and operation across Ministries and Departments
- Monitoring the work of individual Ministries and Departments in terms of priority policies and programs to ensure that all are operating consistent with the overall strategic focus of the Government
- Perfecting various legal documents such as licenses, etc.
- Managing performance across the whole of government.
In addition to the above, and with specific reference to the Head of the Public Service, the functions of the Cabinet Office are:
- Providing guidance on central government operations and processes ensuring that the Public Service is organized effectively and adequately skilled to implement government policies and societal needs
- Setting, promoting and enforcing the values of the Public Service
- Interfacing with the Public Service Commission on senior appointments within the Public Service and with the Governor General’s office on Ministerial appointments and the transfer of Permanent Secretaries
- Chairing the Senior Managers Board (SMB) and managing the SMB agenda